michelin tyres

Discussion in 'FJR Specific' started by john foley, Mar 19, 2018.

1. john foley

john foley Active Member

HI My Michelin pilot road 4 gt front tyre has know done only 9500 kms and is badly scalloped on the right side of the tyre and I now I can feel a bad vibration coming from the front. Any one had this problem I will be going back to Pirelli Angel GT A as I got 13000 kms from front tyre the back would have about 1500 kms and I do feel a lot better with the Pirelli that is my opinion. All the best john

2. TonyR

TonyR New Member

I also have fitted the Michelin 4GT with the same results on the front, it was pointed out to me by another rider, put more pressure in and it appears to of corrected the problem, I will be staying with the Michelin but would like to hear from a Michelin rep as to why this happens

3. john foley

john foley Active Member

Hi I had 40 psi in the front and 42 psi in the back I checked my pressure about once a fortnight with a top of the ranch pressure gauge. What do you have. John

4. GregW

GregW Well-Known Member

Michelin PR4's.............Front 43psi and rear 45+psi......with these psi I got nearly 20,000k's on a front or was it the back:confused:

5. AHAMAY

AHAMAY Well-Known Member

41 front and 42 rear. Love the PR4!

6. john foley

john foley Active Member

Hi thanks for your help I put 41 psi in the front and 43 psi in the back and YES after a ride through National park today they felt a lot better" John

7. Farkleit

Farkleit Member

Put 48 in the rear and put 46 in the front.
    These tyres dont have any steel belts so they need pressure. I'm up to 19500 klm on the front PR4GT and I reckon i have another ss1600 plus another couple thousand at least.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  8. AHAMAY

AHAMAY Well-Known Member

50? Do we hear 50? You don't want to miss out on the highest tyre pressure known to man.
    48. Going once.... Going twice...
    ;)

dmsantam, Werner and Steve like this.
  9. The White Tiger

The White Tiger Administrator Staff Member

I agree with Farkleit. I got told, by a tyre guy, that you can run the pressures much higher than what's "recommended".

I run 42F/45R for solo (80kg no panniers) but when I had a pillion it was 45F/48R. I've been through countless sets of tyres and have NEVER had cupping since upping the pressures from the ridiculously low recommend pressures.

The current set of PR4's I got from Pablo's in Melbourne. There was some feathering on the leading edges, of the old tyres, which the guy said was caused by too low pressures.

10. Gus

Gus Active Member

well i thought the PR5's might be the go after reading about better millage, big mistake the front has only lasted 8400k's (12 days riding) and developed a bubble in the middle, scalloped badly on the right almost down to the wear indicators . had it replaced today in Taree. It appears the side compound is softer than the 4's and you can see a definite line between the edge and center compounds. the Rear should last till i get home but also is wearing oddly.
    i don't think the 5's non GT spec are up to the task with the FJR's weight. Very disappointed with these.

11. stormycove1

stormycove1 New Member

i had a Michelin 4 on the front and got 20000ks out of it kept the tire pressures at 44 psi all the time
    no scuffing just wore out i'v just put a set of Michelin road 5 on it will be interesting to see how long they last

12. Gus

Gus Active Member

home yesterday after a 15,500k ride, the PR5 rear has held up ok and should last another couple of thousand klm's .
    it has scalloped on the sides where the two compounds meet (I think the rain grooves/ blocks are too wide which caused this. also when cornering I could feel the change between the two which resulted in a slip/grab/slip/ grab feel at times. I wont be using the PR5's again.
    the Pirelli angel A spec front I fitted has now done 7500k and looks fine. will give the rear a go next.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Steve

Steve Administrator Staff Member

Welcome home mate ;)

14. Bat62

Bat62 Active Member

I just fitted Michelin Road 5,s front and rear in Perth and now back in Melb 3 weeks later, they have started to square off, (4000K;s) think I will try the Angel GT's next

15. Pats

Pats Member

Only a few weeks ago I was looking for prices to replace my worn tyres, ended up using the PR4's as I have seen the wear on comparable weight bikes and the handling. I was advised that the PR5's although a better tyre for road holding was not good for FJR type bikes due to weight and the "typical" riding done by "heavier cruiser/sport bikes".
    I decided to abide by this cautionary advice and leave the 5's alone until I either see/read some feedback on them, so far I love the 4's my typical riding is single seat, occasionally camping gear. but mostly blasting around the roads/hills that surround Brissy. Below would be a "typical" extended run load.
    As for tyre pressures normally have about 40-42 Psi unloaded and about 45 Psi loaded, believe it or not, I have found a difference with even this small variation in pressures. 20180606_131548resized.jpg

stevew, Shoey, TJ189 and 2 others like this.