The New Forum

Discussion in 'Website and Forum Administration' started by Thommo, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Thommo

Thommo Administrator Staff Member

Lots of changes and some more to come (layout etc).

Everyone should be able to log in using their existing usernames and passwords, however one thing that for some odd reason, we couldn't get to migrate over was everyone's avatars. Why? We don't know. We also don't know why the post thread and post count doesn't show up on the index page yet all the threads and posts are there.

Any issues, please post here or via someone else so can sort it as soon as possible. I'll edit this post as needed with further information.

M Roadster and dblakem1 like this.
  2. Steve

Steve Administrator Staff Member

Congrats Thommo, it's been a while, but well worth it. Greta effort on your part. lemme buy you a bit of neck oil next time we meet.

dblakem1 likes this.
  3. Snow

Snow Member

Thanks Thommo, your efforts are much appreciated.

dblakem1 likes this.
  4. The White Tiger

The White Tiger Administrator Staff Member

When I click on "New Posts" it only shows some of the new posts....

5. Thommo

yeah... I've noticed when I click on new posts, I then look to the far right of screen and Ive found " mark forums read" and " Recent Posts".
    Recent posts seems to be better.

6. M Roadster

M Roadster Member

7. Shoey

Shoey Active Member

Great work Thommo, a very fresh look.
    Shoey & Lola.

8. Tallin

Tallin Member

Looks great mate Cheers

9. TonyR

TonyR New Member

Can I or where can I change the order of the listings, eg Newest at the TOP of the page, cheers

10. Steve

Tony,

what order are you seeing the posts in a selected thread, at the moment?

I will try and find where the settings are, but to be honest, when I opened up here at the new site for the first time, the posts were always "latest at the bottom" in any selected thread.

it is a natural way of reading things, (left to right, top to bottom). I don't actually recall an alternative in this format to place latest posts in a thread, at the top.

***update***

Ok...it seems the order of display of posts/responses in a selected thread, is controlled thru the settings in the back room. it is not a personal user option.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  11. Helixxx

Helixxx Member

How about having a set number of posts per page?
    It’s a bit of a pita to have to scroll through all the posts to get to the most recent, especially on long posts

Laurie

12. Steve

13. Helixxx

Helixxx Member

Well, bugger me, never too old to learn.

Steve likes this.
  14. Steve

in your case...never too late to start.

15. The White Tiger

The White Tiger Administrator Staff Member

The search function doesn't search the posts from the previous forum, only the new ones on this forum

16. Steve

I think Thommo still has some indexing and 'fine tuning' to complete.

Duly noted tho' Pete.

Thommo?

17. Thommo

Yeah, I'm still trying to find the cause of why the search index isn't searching the old forum posts. When I first ported the old forum into the offline test xenforo, every single post and thread ever made was locked and required moderator approval for some odd reason. Took me a while to sort the SQL queries to mass unlock it. On a whole, moving everything was pretty painless, just little things that need fettling.