My Annual Snowy Run - a solo retreat

Discussion in 'Going Riding' started by Jimw, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Jimw

Jimw Member

Set off from Orange, trying to make it to Wagga without using any main roads so I zig zagged my way across the countryside through Canowindra, Grenfel, Temora and into Wagga. A nice quiet run. Met up with a cousin and we went for a trip on local roads to Harden via Junee Reefs.

[​IMG]

Of course, its in the most out of the way places that you find the nicest treasures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Wagga, I headed off through Holbrook and crossed the border into last decade at Jingellic. Now on the Victorian side of the border, I watched my P's and Q's whilst riding the Murray River Road. This is a nice stretch of road and follows close by the river, providing a very scenic run.

I diverted into Corryong for some supplies for my retreat. Corryong is the home of Jack Riley, the real Man from Snowy River, and 'aint the town proud of that fact. Anyway, I backtracked a few kilometers and hit the start of the Alpine Way, with a lunch stop at Khancoban. Then the curves of the most beautiful 35 year old you will ever see were presented to me.

If you look at a map, there is a V shape road that runs from Khancoban to Thredbo. In the middle of the V is a place called Tom Groggin. That's where I set up camp.

[​IMG]

Its a nice quiet campsite about 5 metres from the headwater of the Murray River. Quite refreshing to have a dip in. I'm camped up for 3 dyas, which has cost me $21 in National Park camp fees but its a bargain. I then spend the next 3 days reading my book, swimming, oh and riding the Alpine Way for lunch each day between Tom Groggin, Khancoban and Thredsbo. Its a life and someone has to live it.

[​IMG]

After a few days of nirvana, and probably because I'd finished my book, I rode East to Jindabyne and then turned South onto the Barry Way. This is a narrow bit of tar for the first 30 kln and then it turns to dirt. Quite rough dirt as it turns out!

[​IMG]

I weighed myself on the weighbridge near home as I was leaving and I was 490KG on the road, fully fuelled with me on top. Well, I can report that my new ADV1300 Yamaha felt a bit heavy in the rocky, sandy, gravelly crap that the Barry Way has to throw at me. It was a slow and at times tortuous journey, not helped by idiots and soccer mums out to prove that they own ALL of the road.

Anyway, all was rewarded with my first view of the Snowy River.
    [​IMG]

The road was amazing. At times so steep that one foot wrong spelt doom. I rarely got over 60kph and spent lots of time at walking pace
    [​IMG]

There are lots of little bridges
    [​IMG]

and mobile chicanes
    [​IMG]

but the scenery gets more and more stunning the deeper you go
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I turned left off the Barry Way after 120k (90 dirt) and headed East again. The temperature was rising. I started the day at a beaut 23 degrees but by now it had climbed to 45 degrees and was quite uncomfortable, especially whilst trying to concentrate on the road. Then you get your first glimpse of McKillops bridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was to odd other bridge also
    [​IMG]

Another 80 Klm of dirt and I popped out onto the Bonang Highway where I turned left once again. This is the tail end of another great ride and I get to do all the curvy bits on a road to myself. A fitting cherry to add to my ice cream of a ride for the day.

From Delegate, I headed off through Bombala, down Mt Darragh, Bega and to Cobargo for the night with a mate.

Next day it was a bit of highway to Batemans Bay, turn left along the Kings Highway to Braidwood and then Goulburn. It was then a pleasant race through the Trunky Creek Road to home. All up a short run of about 2500klm with 200klm of Dirt. Short but some of the sweetest riding in Australia.

The bike got a bit dirty but not really enough to warrant washing it, I'll just go out the next time its raining.

[​IMG]

I just love my riding and its not till you get off the beaten track on one of these adventure bikes that you can really come to grips with whats available to us all. For free too.
    Until next we ride
    jim

Steve, Chickenman, Bernie and 2 others like this.
  2. Shoey

Shoey Active Member

Well done Jim, good to see your still enjoying that solitude.
    Shoey & Lola.

3. GlennE

GlennE Member

Hi Jim,
    Great ride,that 90km of gravel is very scenic but we traveled it 2 up I didn't get a great deal of time to look at it.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Staff Member

Love your reports Jim.

Brings back memories of you meeting us at Khankoban 12 months ago, for the run along the Alpine Way. Your intimate knowledge of the area is 2nd to none.

Love your work.

Did you "keep an eye out" for any problems? :rolleyes:

5. Jimw

Jimw Member

Your a better man than me GlennE. That stint across to the Bonang is not as rough as the Barry Way but it still requires absolute concentration. Doing it two up with the missus nattering away in the earphones would be beyond me! Not at all suggesting that you do a lot of talking Pammie!

Steve, I’m a very lucky person to be able to do this and I cherish every moment of it. The Snowy is, in my view, one of the best riding packages in Australia. A bit of something for everyone. I understand that not many people like riding on dirt, but I love it. It’s a personal sport that involves absolute concentration. I am slow and methodical but I get to places of absolute beauty that fewer people get to see. The FJR is not the ideal bike for this sort of riding but when you take in all the Klm to get three and back from home, it is a respectable choice. You just need to get used to half a ton of metal moving around of it’s own accord under your pants.